Being Restored

I'm in the process of restoring this old cabinet that we found downstairs in the basement. I have big plans for this cabinet! I'm going to place our coffee machine and espresso maker on it, but it will be placed against the wall in such a way that I can work from one side while visiting with those sitting on stools on the other side.
This idea of restoring has been on my mind lately. We just finished our little devotional book on Psalm 23 with the kids. One of the pictures in the book shows a gentle shepherd holding a lamb around his neck, carrying it back to the fold. This little one has no doubt wandered away and is in need of his shepherd's tender care. He may be scratched up a bit, maybe hungry or thirsty. There, in the fold, the shepherd restores this little lamb, giving him all that is needed to make him well again.
"He restores my soul." ~Psalm 23:3
As I remove the doors and strip away the old paint from this cabinet, I can picture my kids sipping juice and snacking on cheerios on one side of the counter, while I work on the other side preparing dinner. My purpose for restoring it is to make it beautiful and useful once more.
"He restores my soul." ~Psalm 23:3
...so that I can be useful to Him. Some days I don't feel very useful. There are days where I can't keep up with the laundry, my children or the toys on the floor. There are days where I'm not happily waiting at the door for my husband to come home, but frustrated with keys in-hand, ready to run out the door as soon as he enters. How thankful I am to have a gentle Shepherd to restore my soul when I'm anxious about the future or angry with my children.
"He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young."
~Isaiah 40:11





3 comments:
What a beautiful lesson!! We pray for you all!!
we had a similar lesson in Bible study last night on renewing our minds. get rid of the old, welcome the new. good stuff.
I love the verse in Isaiah that you mentioned. Although we are the adults (most of the time, :>), we are still in need of being gathered and carried close to the heart of our Savior just as our little ones are in need of us holding them closely and gently tending to them. How amazing that God loves us so much....more than we can even love our own children! What a great way to start the day by being reminded of the sweet care of our Lord. What a great way to start the day!
Post a Comment