11.16.2007

Baffled!



I'm already aware that I'm not exactly cut out for city life. But some things really do throw me for a loop. For instance, my next door neighbor is out mowing his lawn right now. Seriously, he just did that the other day, or maybe it was last week. Whatever the exact day was, it was fairly recent. Phil mowed our lawn back in September just after we moved in, and I honestly don't think it needs to be mowed again just yet. Our neighbors mow their lawns all the time! Are we missing something?

My friend Stephanie told me that there is also snow etiquette. She said, "You cannot allow snow to accumulate on your lawn. It is the equivalent of not mowing your grass. As it falls, you must shovel it into wheelbarrows and push it out to the curb for the snow trucks to pick up."

Here's the thing: we don't mow our grass, so how often should we shovel the snow? This might be a very long winter!

11 comments:

Basking in the Son said...

Shoveling your lawn sounds kind of like cow tipping to me. The only snow etiquette that I know of is keeping your part of the sidewalk clear.

Is your neighbor mowing his lawn to pick up leaves? Some people do that rather than raking. All in all, it is better to have neighbors that are too neat rather than too messy.

James said...

I'm sure you and the kids can have more fun with it than shoveling it. Snowballs, snowmen, snow angles. Just make sure you get a snow shovel for the driveway and walkways and ice melt or you'll all be slip, sliding away. (watch what kind of ice melter you get, some stuff will kill the lawn and plant in the spring. Read on the bag to find out if it is safe for plants.)

jenny said...

Yikes! If it's not safe for plants, what about the kids?

I can see that I have much to learn about living up here in snow country. I mentioned to my friend Stephanie that I'll be doing foolish "I've-never-lived-in-the-snow" stuff, so my neighbors will probably spend their winter peeking through their curtains laughing at me!

Stephanie said...

You have to careful who you listen to on this subject. There are all kinds of crazy people out there. Not all of them give good advice. And what in the world is cow tipping?
Also, your neighbors are already peeking at you through the curtains wondering if those children are really all yours, so a few snow-faux-pa's won't really make a difference in the big scheme of things. Sorry.

emyann said...

Ick! No thank you! I am definitly meant to be in San Diego with no snow! I can't imagine you'll have time to shovel your lawn! Good Luck with that!

~nanashouse~ said...

jen, dad mows the lawn to get rid of the leaves. our mower mulches and puts everything in the bag--sort of like vacuuming the lawn!

James said...

Jen I have to tell you that you that from what I have seen snow is a here today gone tomorrow thing most of the time in Spokane so you shouldn't have terrible worries.

James

Anonymous said...

glad to hear abut this- news to me!

Rebekah said...

Wow! We rarely get snow here anymore....it's so sad. But, we do have LOTS of leaves! We have around 20 trees in our yard, so right now our yard is just about covered....and not all the trees have emptied their leaves yet. Goodness!

Monica said...

We mow our lawn once a week in the summer. It always looks better when it's well manicured. As for the snow thing....we don't live in the snow anymore, but when we did in Illinois no one was crazy enough to shovel snow from their lawns. What is that all about? It looks prettier (the clean parts anyway) when it's everywhere. As for cow tipping....what's not to love?

Nana's Nest said...

Well if those were the rules here in Greenville about the lawns we'd be kicked off the block for sure.
Our neighbor next to us uses a gardner and his lawn is quite plush and he doesn't clean his hous either as he has a housekeeper! Must be nice!! And yet again he is single, well sort of and has nothing else to spend his money on. Audy mows as needed and vacuums the leafs with lawnmover too....as far as the snow goes, keep your sidewalks clear and let mother nature to the rest

Watch Us Grow!

Lilypie Kids birthd<a href=ay Ticker
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers