Amazed
I'm really enjoying teaching the boys at home this year--more than I thought I would. We've gotten into a groove, and things have been running smoothly for us. I decided to do school in the afternoon, because we have a 3 hour window of time while the girls are napping. That leaves our mornings free for outings, reading books, doing crafts, and most of all, watching PBS Kids.
I've been amazed at how many teachable moments we have throughout the day, and how many school subjects have overlapped naturally, making it possible for me to teach holistically. For instance, we studied Leif Erikson last month. We're also reading The Little House Series. Last month, as I was reading in the car (don't worry, Phil was driving), Pa and Ma Ingalls purchased a dugout to live in from a Mr. Hanson from Norway. Jared said, "Leif Erikson went to Norway!" As we were discussing this, we passed The Sons of Norway Lodge, which has a huge viking ship in its parking lot. We finished our study on the vikings the first week of October. As I was preparing my unit on our next explorer, Christopher Columbus, I realized we would start that unit on Christopher Columbus Day!
In Science, we've been studying spiders. Jared received his Clubhouse Jr. Magazine in the mail this week, and guess what the Science feature of the month is? Spiders! He also has a little workbook to practice his cutting skills everyday. The day after we studied spiders, his cutting activity involved a spider's web.
In Bible, we've been studying Noah. Today we read about God's covenant with man and how He placed a rainbow in the sky. That exact Bible passage came up in our family Bible time after dinner! The moms in our preschool co-op decided to make weather our theme for this week. I was just looking at the picture book I'll be reading tomorrow morning, and sure enough, there's a page on rain and rainbows!
Truly amazing, don't you think? And I can't thank God enough!





4 comments:
It really does take a thankful heart to even notice how all these things fit together perfectly. The same has been true for Tyler's school this year. He studied classification in Science and then later in reading 20,000 Leagues the whole genus, species thing was in every chapter! Good stuff :-)
What a blessing to Grampa & I to read this!
I am so glad you are able to enjoy teaching! It really is fun to see how things work together.
You are the world's greatest Mommy! I think about you every day. :)
Post a Comment