5.03.2008

Humiliated

We've discovered a new (to us) library here in Spokane. We frequent the one by our house, which is the city library, but we've recently discovered one near Jared's school, which is the county library. What this really means for us is that there's a whole new data base of videos and DVDs to be discovered!

We took the kids to the new library this morning. Every time we take all of them at once I tell myself not to do it again, but for some reason I thought it would be o.k.

It wasn't too bad until we approached the circulation desk and I took the books from the kids' hands to place them on the counter. One of my girls (who is VERY good at being 2) screamed out, "No, I do it mySELF!" for all to hear. I'm sure everyone turned to look, but all I noticed was the librarian who gave me a what-are-you-going-to-about-it kind of look. My answer? Absolutely nothing. Not because I didn't care, but because I know my daughter, and insisting that she let me put her books on the counter would have only caused a bigger scene.

I had to let her march up to the counter, pony tail bobbing, place her 2 books on the counter and then look back at me to flash a smile. It's something she wouldn't get away with at home, but we weren't at home. I know I looked like a terrible mother. I felt helpless and humiliated. I'm sure this won't be the last time my children humiliate me in public--not fun at all!

4 comments:

Nana's Nest said...

Hum...been there, done that with my own AND grandchildren. You handled that well because I am sure when you got to the car or home you and Miss 2 year old had a talking about "being polite"! That's what counts not what people thinks! I am glad you have enjoyed the pic's....having Molly is taking place of #4 for Katie. Two of the kids rooms are huge so they moved Dawson and Bryson in together, moved Jessalyn into smaller room (ex-nursery;-( and the second big room is going to be a "school room-playroom" (she is homeschooling Jess in fall) we were laughing last night, that it finalizes "no more room". Jessalyn and Molly will be very close...she thinks she's the "big sister" not understanding the cousin thing.

~nanashouse~ said...

Proud of you Jen. You will master the "Public Look" of who cares? It's all about survival sometimes!
You will be thankful for her strong spirit someday when she is faced with a trial that would break the best of us. Kiss them for me :-)

tyler said...

Jenny, where did that come from??? You 3 girls NEVER displayed that ever. I am speechless. Now who am I kidding, NO ONE.
Wow Jenny once again your blog makes me relive,remind myself of our adventures with the three amigas(You,Emmy and Lizzie) in tow out in public. As mom said you will master the look needed to keep that situation in check. Wish I was there to help, YEAH RIGHT!!!!

DAD

Amy... said...

Oh, how I have been in that situation and it sounds like you handled that with such grace! I would have looked at you as being such a patient mama! Can't wait to hang out:)

Watch Us Grow!

Lilypie Kids birthd<a href=ay Ticker
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers