3.04.2009

...at a place near Your altar

"Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow builds her nest and raises her young at a place near your altar, O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, my King and my God!...What joy for those whose strength comes from the Lord."
Psalm 84:3, 5

I read these verses today and thought to myself, "That's where I want to be, and that's where I want to lead my children. Better yet, that's where I want to raise them...at a place near Your altar, O Lord." It makes all the difference. I know I react differently to fussy children and chaos when I draw near to Him.

This little bird isn't just stopping by for a visit! She's building her nest there in order to do her work--to raise her young.

I'm going to ponder this and ask the Lord to show me what this should look like in my home.

Just what this tired mommy needed to read today!

"I listen carefully to what God the Lord is saying, for he speaks peace to his faithful people."
Psalm 85:6

5 comments:

gramma said...

beautifully stated!
we love you all!

Stephanie said...

What a wonderful and helpful thought! By the way, what version were you reading? I like it. :)

The Crazy Hours said...

I love this, Jen. Do you know what I've been working on? James 1:12-13 "So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath. For the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." It's so easy to lecture my kids (which often involves anger and yelling), thinking that if I just say it loud enough they'll get the point. But, "the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God"...so I've got to find better ways to teach righteousness. Christian mommyhood sure is challenging. sigh...

jenny said...

Steph,

I switched from reading the King James Version to the New Living Translation about 3 years ago. It's made such a huge difference in my understanding of Scripture! I've read and memorized from the KJV all of my life, so you'd think that I'd "get it," but reading a version in my vernacular has made the Bible come alive for me.

The Crazy Hours said...

Oops. That's what I get for trusting my memory...I was quoting James 1:19-20. I have been working really hard on memorizing, too. :)

Watch Us Grow!

Lilypie Kids birthd<a href=ay Ticker
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers